1) Richard X – You (Better Let Me Love You x4) Tonight/Rock Jacket [Virgin/Source]rnTiga on vocals coming on like Phil Oakey. Rock Jacket with Richard on vox and help from a Spandau Ballet guitar.
2) Arthur Baker feat Princess Superstar – Return To New York (AB Vs JC 80s Paradise Revival Mix/Scream Mix) [white label]rnJust a big advert for the club really. If only all ads were this good (and mentioned CBGB’s).
3) Avenue D/Cazwell – The Sex That I Need [For Us 7"]rn2 girls talk sex, sex and sex with fag rap! I think they are all sluts!
4) Benny Benassi – Satisfaction (Isak Original Mix) [white label]rnBounciest mind bending riff this year with those talking Mac voices.
5) Mu – Let’s Get Sick [Output]rnCrazy Japanese punk-disco. Mu from Mu Chan Clan I presume? Spot the Bobby O sample.
6) Laquer – Behind (Cosmo Vitelli Mix) [BMG]rnDirty stomping electro and then that poptastic vocal comes in – inspired! Great original version and Armand Van Helden mix too.
7) Free*land – We Want Your Soul [Marine Parade]rnMore talking Mac voices! Breaksy type leap about comment on capitalist society.
8) Slide – Cos I Wanna [Frontier]rnElectro-house version of the Hives – very twangy! The Cure’s “A Forest” gets reworked on the ‘b’.
9) The Van Den Plas – Santa Margherita [Amato]rnLush exotic disco with electro-soul leanings.
10) Cassius feat Ghostface Killa – Thrilla (Bass Day Remix) [Virgin/Source]rnThrobbing, pulsating old skool. I’m not even gonna mention the ‘E’ word! Nice mixes from The Streets/Blake Baxter too.
11) François de Roubaix – La Mer Est Grande (Carl Craig Mix) (Cinemix EP) [Universal Music Jazz France]rnHorn riffed French film muzak messed with by Mr Craig. Also has Gonzales & Taylor Savvy/Luke Vibert/Twitch mixes. Be warned – this 10″ ep cost me £15.99!
12) Radioactive Man – Itisanditisnt [Rotters Golf Club]rnQuirky stuff from Keith Tennisshoes…I mean Keith Tenniswood. Are my jokes getting predictable? Sorry Keith.
13) Big Two Hundred – Let It Bleed (Padded Cell Remixes) [DC Recordings]rnNo wave disco from the Chicken Lips guys. Remix by Richard Sen.
14) Chicken Lips – Eggy’s Pause Button (Echoman Re-Echoed Vol 3) [Kingsize]rnGreat ‘disco not disco’. Goes all Nona Hendryx “Bustin’ Out” at the end.
15) Gonzales – This One Jam (feat Taylor Savvy) [Kitty-Yo]rnLovely EP of reworked Gonzales hits. “Woody Allen! Woody Allen!”
Pic by Mark Moore